Sunday 26 January 2014


ALL 60’S, ALL FASHION.

 

 

I decided I was going to do an article on the 60’s ‘cos it is one of my favourite fashion eras

 
 
In the 1960’s a number of diverse trends were all brought together in one great era. When I think of the 60’s all I think of is ‘FLOWER POWER’,THE BEATLES AND MARY QUANT. The most fashion inclined person of the 60’s was Mary Quant, this very pretty lady invented the miniskirt. Yep in 1963 this woman sat down and thought wouldn’t it be so ‘rad’ if we had skirts that were inches above our knees. This idea blossomed and bloomed cos in no time ,every woman was wearing these very skirts. Then came the mini-dresses which were usually A-line or shift dresses, these were worn with boots and goggles.

The leaders of the mid 60’s fashion was definitely the British, they outshone us all. They were called the Mods (short for Modernist). Mods were mostly youths, creating their own way of life, starting their own magazines, television shows etc.    They were known to listen to modern jazz (certainly not my kind of music), but were really recognized by the public in 1964 ,girls had clean hair cuts and their musical taste was the exact opposite of their rivals the rockers,who wore leather jackets, always wore greasy pompadour hairstyles and rode motorbikes.

The Mods always looked classy, they always looked like they had just stepped out of a high fashion French magazine and Levi’s were the only types of jeans worn by them. Hemlines kept raising as time moved on and in 1968 they had reached above midthigh thus the micro-mini was born. Of course we had to have evening wear,which were meagre chiffon dresses with spaghetti straps referred to as cocktail dresses. Then   my bell bottoms then came waltzing along and kicked capris out of the show (bye fam).


BIGGEST FASHION TRENDS

·         Bell-Bottoms

·         Flower power

·         Hippie

·         Swing coats

·         Colours of every hue; neon,rainbow etc.

·         PVC!

 

BIGGEST FASHION DESIGNERS

·         Emilio Pucci

·         Mary Quant

·         Jackie Kennedy

 

BIGGEST FASHION ICONS

·         Jean Shrimpton

·         Audrey Hepburn

·         Anita Pallenberg

·         Twiggy

When I think of the 60’s all I think of is FLOWER POWER,THE BEATLES AND MARY QUANT.This will never change, the 60’s broke boundaries in terms of fashion, they said its okay to be different and they stood up for what they believed in. I have nothing more to say about this wonderful era but I do know that it has taken me a while to understand them and now I do, and I say PVC forever! (not :p)

 

Thanks for reading

Love you guys

Chinedu

Xoxo

 

Follow me on twitter :@Chinedu_SN

                            Instagram:semiloren

No comments:

Post a Comment